Follow our video for instructions on how to update your firmware manually. Alternatively read the written instructions below.
Caution! Read these instructions in full and thoroughly!
The Firmware update procedure is relatively simple and easy to do by following the steps below. These instructions were written based on updating the WBM using a Windows 8 Operating System (W8OS). Although the procedure may look and be slightly different on predeceasing WOS’s these instructions are still applicable. Where they are not the same there will be instructions written (in brackets).
• This will automatically start the download of the firmware.bin file* (less than 500Kb in size),
• The download will automatically be saved into the default download folder (Usually ‘Downloads’),
• Ensure you know where the firmware.bin file is located on the computer, for the later steps of this procedure. The firmware file will be named according to this scheme Wattbike-ModelB-firmware-[version number]-[release date].bin, e.g. Wattbike-ModelB-firmware-V12001-20141015.bin.
1. Ensure the WBM is plugged into the mains via the external power adapter (supplied with the bike) and is charging (Red Light ON signifies this**) **If the Red light does not display:
• The WBM is fully charged, but still plug it in
2. To initialise the update protocol called ‘Program Mode’;
• Ensure the WBM is ‘OFF’
• Hold the ‘ENTER’ button (1) then press and release the ‘ON/OFF’ button (2),
• ‘Program Mode’ will appear on the WBM screen
• Using the USB A-B cable (supplied with the bike) connect the computer running Windows to the WBM.
3. The windows operating system may initialise an ‘Installing new hardware window’ this is normal and should be left to be completed. Once this has finished a new window may*** open with the ‘firmware.bin’ file showing (fig 1.0)
• *** If this window does not open automatically the WBM can be accessed by navigating to the ‘My computer’ or through the ‘File explorer’ (Windows 8) and selecting ‘Wattbike WPC’ Removable disc drive or similar from the side pane (Windows 8) or in ‘My computer’.
4. Delete the file firmware.bin in the WBM location by right clicking, the click ‘Delete’,
5. Once deleted, drag and drop (or copy) the newly downloaded firmware.bin file from the saved location on your Computer to the WattbikeWPC location see (fig 1.2), this will then;
6. Copy the firmware into the WBM and update 7. Once this is done the WBM will automatically disconnect from the computer and turn on displaying the main menu.
If at any point during this process something does not go according to theses instructions and you suspect the WMB has been corrupted or still displays ‘Program Mode’ call Wattbike on 0115 945 5450 for further assistance.